Saturday, April 18, 2015

NBA Playoff Predictions


Another season is in the books and another pursuit for the Larry O'Brien Championship Trophy begins! Without further ado, here are my playoff predictions:

Round 1

Warriors-Pelicans:

Many people wanted to see Westbrook and the Thunder in this matchup, but I was not one of them. The man has been almost superhuman this year and is a joy to watch, but it's simply a 1 on 5 show. Need proof? The man scored 54 points against Indiana, a team that missed the playoffs, and the Thunder still lost!

Insert the Pelicans, who bring in one of the game's very best players in Anthony Davis. The unibrow may not get the credit he deserves, with his team only getting two national TV games all season. Now is his time to let the world know of his immense talents!

Unfortunately, those talents won't be enough. Not even close. The Warriors are on a mission, and the Pelicans aren't in the same league.

Prediction: Warriors in 4


Rockets-Mavericks

I've heard from some that my hometown Mavs would be better off facing the Spurs, matchup-wise. You can debate that all day, but I believe one thing we can all agree on is that this is the most fun matchup the Dallas fan base could have hoped for.

Between the tirade of Morey and Cuban, Chandler Parsons taking on his old team, and the possibility of an inner-state rivalry brewing, the storylines are very intriguing. The real question is if the actual play on the court will catch up with them.

I think it will come close! I know Houston is a top 10 defensive team this year, but I still see this series being a high scoring affair. I think Carlisle can keep this series close, and outcoach McHale. However, the talent of the Rockets should overcome that. Combine that with the health concerns of Parsons and Devin Harris, Dirk being such a liability on defense, and the team's lack of depth, and I think it's just too much.

Prediction: Rockets in 6

Clippers-Spurs

This series could be a classic! Can CP3 carry the clips? Or, will the Spurs continue to defy father time and cement their legacy yet again?

The Clips have battled through injuries to Griffin and Crawford to land the 3 seed. Meanwhile, the Spurs made a late charge for home court, winning 11 straight. Ultimately, their loss to the Pelicans in the season finale sent them from the 2 seed to the 6.

With home court and Griffin and Crawford back, the Clips may be the safe pick. But, I cannot pick against the Spurs this early. Until they go down, I won't believe they're too old. That has fooled me before. Pop and the crew gets it done.

Prediction: Spurs in 6

Blazers-Grizzlies

This series will be a real grind, and truly is a tossup. The loss of Wesley Matthews is brutal, and the addition of Arron Afflalo doesn't make up for it. But, Lillard and Aldridge are great, and that home court advantage in Portland is no joke. Then, there's Memphis, who seemed like an early co-favorite with Golden State, only to have a rough stretch and go from the 2 seed to the 5.

Ultimately, I think Memphis gets it done. It really could go either way, but I think they excel far more in the half court than Portland, and their experience and bigs will get it done.

Prediction: Memphis in 6

Hawks-Nets

On paper, the Nets are just as talented. Off paper, they continue to be one of the most underachieving teams in the league. Mike Budenholzer has been a Godsend in Atlanta, providing a tremendous turnaround. He's my personal pick for Coach of the Year, and it's no coincidence that he was an assistant coach under Pop for 17 years. He seems to have picked up every little detail it takes to excel in coaching.

The Nets are talented enough to win the series, but reality says otherwise. They are a major letdown, and I have to side with Paul Pierce's recent comments on Deron Williams. He has not been the same player since they moved to Brooklyn and played under the Russian Billionaire's checkbook.

Prediction: Hawks in 5

Cavaliers-Celtics

Hats off to Brad Stevens. The man doesn't have one all-star, and got his squad in the playoffs. But, that talent disparity will be a major problem against Cleveland. Somehow, it seems the Cavs have flown under the radar. After a rocky start to the season, Cleveland has been phenomenal down the stretch. The trade for Smith and Shumpert was huge, giving LeBron a strong supporting cast.

Prediction: Cavs in 4

Bulls-Bucks

I, for one, will admit that I scoffed at Kidd as a coach. There's no doubt that he knows the game, but I had an issue with how quickly he received a head coaching job. Nevertheless, the joke is on me. He has taken a team with little veteran talent or leadership into the playoffs. On the other side, the Bulls have battled injuries to snag the three seed.

I believe the games can stay close, but there's no way I'm picking against the Bulls here. Gasol has been a rock, holding together a team plagued by injuries. However, the team seems to have gotten healthy at just the right time. I'm not sold that Rose can be enough of a difference maker for them to make a deep run, but give me the Bulls in a short series.

Prediction: Bulls in 5

Wizards-Raptors

This is a tough series to call. Lowry has shined in the spotlight in recent playoffs, but I think this is Wall's year to do so.

Wall is one of the best guards in the league, but is often overshadowed by others. It's a close series, but I believe Wall will breakthrough, and Pierce has enough big shots left in him to close out close games.

Prediction: Wizards in 7

Conference Semis

Warriors-Grizzlies

This kicks off what should be a fantastic 2nd round of games. This will be a very interesting series to watch, with a real contrast of styles. While the Warriors are run and gun, the Griz want to slow it down and let their bigs go to work.

The Griz will make Golden State earn it, but I can't go against the Warriors. They are on a mission, and the Griz just haven't been the same team during the 2nd half of the season.

Prediction: Warriors in 7

Rockets-Spurs

Will Harden finally have his breakout playoff moment? Was Duncan's block of Harden in the final seconds a sign? I believe it was. The Spurs are back, and it's all about matchups. I believe the Clips are a tougher matchup.

The winner of Clips/Spurs takes out Houston. Houston has fought through injuries, and Harden has been amazing. But, the playoffs are another animal, and Harden has yet to prove that he is a superstar there. Also, I'm not convinced Howard will ever be a winner. McHale will get outcoached too. Give me the Spurs one more time.

Prediction: Spurs in 6

Hawks-Wizards

The Hawks have had a phenomenal season, but the buck stops here. I know I'm going out on a limb here, but I really believe in Wall and co.

I see a bunch of close games, with Washington breaking the hearts of the Hawks faithful. That said, I realize it is a tossup or worse just to get by Toronto. But, I have a feeling here!

Prediction: Wizards in 6

Cavs-Bulls

This should be the conference finals matchup. The two teams have the most talent in the East. To me, this series comes down to if Jimmy Butler can become the Kawhi Leonard of the 2014 playoffs.

I think Butler is on a similar path, but after his injuries, I'm not convinced he will have his playoff moment. Preseason, I thought the Bulls were the better team. But, after the Cavs trade and how they've looked, I think they get the job done with home court.

Prediction: Cavs in 7

Conference Finals

Warriors-Spurs

This would be a doozy! Preseason, I had the Spurs winning it all again. But, I think dropping to the 6 seed will be too much to overcome. Asking a team to win 3 series on the road in the vaunted Western Conference is too tall of a task, even for the Spurs.

It's the Warriors' time. The team of destiny breaks through to reach the NBA finals.

Prediction: Warriors in 6

Cavaliers-Wizards

These teams had some great battles in LeBron's first tenure in Cleveland. I see this series as less of a clash.

The Wizards will run out of gas, and the Cavs are simply too good here.

Prediction: Cavs in 5

NBA Finals:

Warriors-Cavs

What an amazing finals this would be! How will the moment affect both teams? Two of the most passionate and desperate fan bases get to find out.

I think the shotmaking of Golden State will take it in the end. LeBron puts up a valiant effort, but I believe the pressure will get to him. And, it's not really his fault. Golden State is a great team.

Prediction: Golden State in 6



No comments:

Post a Comment